Join us for our 2ND annual Summer Festival Cardboard Boat Race on Saturday, AUGUST 6 at Park Lake Beach in Bath Township!
Race begins at 7:00 pm. Free registration begins at 5:30 pm. Adults and kids ages 12 and up are welcome to participate!
The concept: Build a boat for two using only cardboard and duct tape. Two competitors will ride in the boat, and race (in heats of up to four boats) for fastest time to complete the established course. The fastest boats in each category (Adults, and kids 12-17) will win prizes and bragging rights!
Bath Police Department personnel will be happy to challenge the fastest teams!
2022 Park Lake Summer Festival Cardboard Boat CHALLENGE rules and Regulations
Boat design and construction
- Boats must be made before the race.
- Boats must be made ONLY of cardboard and duct tape. A maximum of 5 reinforced cardboard tube allowed.
- Cardboard cannot be sealed with any sealants i.e. flex seal, boats may be painted with spray paint only.
- No sealants or brush painting allowed.
- Boats may be a maximum width of 60” (5 ft.) and a maximum length of 84” (7 ft.).
- There is no maximum height requirement.
- Boats must be completely enclosed or permit the crew to remain fully on top of the vessel. Participants are not permitted to have dangling extremities.
- Boats must be propelled by the use of a paddle and/or hands. No artificially propelled (motorized) paddles are allowed.
- Each boat must carry at least one closed gallon plastic jug with a 15’ rope tether firmly secured to the vessel.
Teen and adult class
Teen class = 1 or 2 jugs; Adult class = 2 or 3 jugs
- Gallon jugs are to remain inside the boat while racing, they are not to be used as flotation for the boat. This is for use in locating and retrieving any sunken boat remains.
- If any illegal items used in construction are discovered during the pre-or post-race inspection, the boat will be disqualified.
- JUDGES DECIDE ON THE INTERPRETATION OF THE RULES.
- Race Format TEEN FLIGHT (12 – 17 years) ADULT FLIGHT (18 and up)
- You CANNOT race without proper signatures on the entry form.
- Parking for participants will be available in the grassy area across from the public beach.
- Boats will need to be designed to carry two individuals.
- Each person will be equipped with a PFD (Personal Flotation Device.)
- Teams will start at the lake edge in the location designated, teams will navigate the course returning to the starting location.
- Once the horn blows signifying the beginning of the race the two team members must put the boat in the water and board it. They will then proceed to and around a marked buoy and return to their starting location.
- The race must begin and end with the two-person crew intact arriving at the shore line and removing the boat and placing it back from where they started.
- Swimming and/or pulling the boat, or the use of other boats will result in disqualification.
- Heat races will consist of, at most, 4 boats at a time.
- Time from heats will determine placement in finals. The fastest 4 times from heats will race for the 2019 Park Lake Summer Festival Cardboard Boat Challenge Championship.
- Contestants are expected to maintain the decorum and dignity expected of a yachtsman.
- Sunken or discarded boats must be disposed of in designated trash bins.
THIS IS A FUN EVENT!! ANY BEHAVIOR THAT IS DEEMED TO BE DETRIMENTAL TO THE EVENT OR OTHER PARTICIPANTS WILL RESULT IN TEAM DISQUALIFICATION.
- Boats will be judged on their creativity as part of the pre-race activities.
- Teams should be prepared to “show-off” their work upon the start of the judging at 7:00 p.m
- 1st Place – fastest time
- 2nd Place – fastest time
- 3rd Place – fastest time
- Most Creative
FREE CARDBOARD AVAILABLE
Free cardboard may be available at the Staples store in Frandor Shopping Plaza until the race date.